Over 14 million Canadians live with obesity, a major driver for chronic diseases. Managing obesity is hampered by misinformation about its complexity and chronicity, which results in unrealistic expectations by healthcare providers and patients.
The 5As Team Training Workshop is a collaborative approach to obesity prevention and management. It is an interactive workshop that will provide you with an
overview of therapeutic approaches, help you frame clinical conversations, provide you with the opportunity to share your own experiences, and discuss strategies to improve obesity prevention and management in your practice. In addition, you will have an opportunity to participate in a simulation activity and practice using a collaborative, personalized approach to obesity prevention and management.
This Group Learning program has been certified by The College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 13 Mainpro+ credits.
1. Identify obesity as a chronic disease
2. Support patients to understand how their comorbidities and personal context are related to their obesity management
3. Apply the 5As of Obesity Management in interdisciplinary team care
4. Perform obesity assessments that identify root causes and care priorities through a collaborative clinical approach
5. Understand and select therapeutic (lifestyle, medication, surgery, behavioural) to help patients develop personalized plans
When, where & how much?
$150 for physicians / healthcare providers
$35 Residents / trainees
Location: 2-263 Health Sciences Education & Research Commons
Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
Date: June 15, 2019