Mary Forhan with TOPS from the 2017 TOPS award presentation.
EXTENDED APPLICATION DEADLINE – February 28, 2019
This award recognizes an individual for a singular achievement or their career contributions to research in the field of obesity. This award is made possible through an annual grant from the Take Off Pounds Sensibly Foundation (TOPS). The award recipient will receive a plaque, a $2,500 prize, and a travel grant to attend the Canadian Obesity Summit. The award will be presented during a plenary session at which the recipient will be invited to present the TOPS New Investigator Research Award Lecture. Award recipients must be able to attend the Canadian Obesity Summit hosted by Obesity Canada (OC), formerly known as the Canadian Obesity Network.
The nomination should include:
- A letter of recommendation (signed by two members of Obesity Canada, one of whom must hold a faculty position; contact information must be provided) stating:
- Your reasons for nominating the individual
- The nominee’s qualifications for the specified award
- A summary of the nominee’s research contributions to the field of obesity
- The nominee’s complete CV including nominee’s complete contact information, current position and academic affiliation.
- Up to three (3) manuscripts that highlight the nominee’s research
- hold a health professional degree or a PhD degree;
- demonstrated success as an independent investigator;
- not be registered for a higher degree at the time of receiving the award;
- hold an appointment as an independent investigator at the time of being nominated and taking up the award,
- have held a faculty or research appointment (e.g., faculty appointment providing eligibility to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees) for a period of no more than 10 years. Time spent in research appointments in a non-academic setting (e.g., industry, government) count towards the 10 year limit if the candidate has been actively engaged in research, as demonstrated by the candidate’s publication record, and the candidate was not considered to be in training (e.g., as a student or postdoctoral fellow). Maternity/paternity and/or sick leave will not count towards the 10 year limit.
Review Process and Evaluation Criteria
Four senior members (one from each CIHR pillar) of the Obesity Canada Science Committee and/or membership will evaluate the application packages.
- Acknowledgement of OC/TOPS Support
- The official award name is TOPS New Investigator Research Award. The award name must be used in all communication and promotion relating to the award
Extended Application Deadline: February 28, 2018 @ 4:00 p.m. Mountain Time.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. Mountain Time. Applications should be assembled in a single PDF file and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org at Obesity Canada (Phone:780-492-8361). Decisions will be announced in the new year.