Congratulations to Lisa Tang, Alexa Ferninands, Megan Lamb, Kavitha Ramachandran, and Ana Kovacevic on receiving a Student Travel Award to the 7th Childhood and Adolescent Obesity Conference.
This year’s conference was held in Calgary, Alberta. This conference brings together an interdisciplinary group of professionals working in the field of childhood and adolescent obesity. The 7th conference will focus on a range of topics that impact the prevention and treatment of obesity beyond the clinic setting, considering the broader social and environmental factors that influence the health of children, adolescents, and families. This multi-theme meeting will explore the role that health care professionals can play in promoting healthy strategies within the greater community to enhance the well-being of children and adolescents living with obesity. Specifically, the conference will showcase examples of successful collaborations that span diverse settings, including the health care system, government, schools, and community at-large.
As a result of attending this conference, participants will be able to:
- Review the importance of community health and highlight successful strategies for promoting healthy lifestyles
- Analyze new trends in nutrition and healthy lifestyle aiming at preventing childhood and adolescent obesity
- Examine the role of social and environmental influences on obesity (e.g. social determinants of health; built environment; social network; media; technology)
- Provide a forum for networking and collaboration among health professionals, educators, researchers, policy makers, trainees and other stakeholders with an interest in childhood and adolescent obesity
- Highlight opportunities for attendees to promote healthy habits and environments in the broader community