2020 Canadian Obesity Student Meeting (COSM) Conference Hosts – Summer 2020
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Obesity Canada (formerly the Canadian Obesity Network) is holding its 7th Canadian Obesity Student Meeting, known as COSM. The meeting will not only highlight important advances in obesity research but will also provide important opportunities for new professionals and trainees from across Canada to present findings and network with their peers.
The event will host their fellow new researchers and health professionals for three/four days of learning, networking and sharing information on all aspects of obesity. This multidisciplinary conference would be organized by the local OC-SNP chapter with guidance and support from the Obesity Canada (https://obesitycanada.ca/). The presentations and discussions will range from cellular and molecular biology to childhood obesity, primary intervention, and population health. However, the primary purpose of this meeting is to enhance student growth and development. Organized by students, for students, this conference will give trainees the opportunity to showcase their work. Participants will come from across Canada, the USA and overseas. Open to up to 200 MSc/PhD students, new researchers, clinical fellows, clinical researchers and new health professionals in their last, or within five years of, completing their training.
This conference is an excellent opportunity for your university to showcase your researchers in the field of obesity who will also be involved as student mentors in different activities throughout the meeting. Furthermore, this will be an ideal opportunity for the recruitment of high quality PhD as well as postdoctoral students and fellows.
We are inviting submissions from OC-SNP (Obesity Canada-Student and New Professional) Chapters and their respective universities to host this important national meeting.
NEW – OC will be accepting “expressions of interest” via email from chapters who are genuinely interested in hosting and creating a proposal but would like some assistance/advice on what to include/who to talk to for a successful bid proposal. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject: COSM 2020 Expression of Interest by 11:59pm ET, Friday January 18th 2019 and indicate contact information so that we may contact you. All emails will be responded to asap,
Proposals should include:
- A letter from the students/faculty who are willing to be key members of the planning committee with suggestions/draft plan for low-cost on-campus housing for accommodation of the students, appropriate meeting space & AV, and catering options
- Letter(s) of support from faculty advisors & letter(s) of support from your university (e.g. including financial or in kind support to assist with the costs of hosting, for example, access to low cost residence rooms for accommodation, low or no meeting room fees with in-house AV included, access to low cost meal options in cafeterias etc.)
- Friday January 18, 2019 – Expression of interest due
- Friday March 29, 2019 – Full proposal due
- no later than Friday April 26, 2019 – Successful bid announced
Proposals must be submitted by email to email@example.com as a .doc, .rft or .pdf attachment as soon as possible but no later than 11:59 pm ET Friday March 2019.
For more information or to request the proposal in an alternate format contact:
OC-SNP National Exec Co-chairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
Obesity Canada c/o 2-126 Li Ka Shing Centre for Health Research and Innovation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2E1, Tel: 780-492-8361