Posting Closed: Graphic Design/ Web Assistant
Job Type: Summer position, end date August 31, 2020, with the possibility of extension
Hours: The position is for 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Office Location: University of Alberta, Li Ka Shing Centre for Health Research Innovation
With the current COVID 19 situation the applicant will be required to work remotely from home until stay at home orders are lifted.
Obesity Canada is Canada’s leading obesity registered charity, made up of healthcare professionals, researchers, policy makers and people with an interest in obesity.
The mission of Obesity Canada is to improve the lives of Canadians through obesity research, education, and advocacy.
The network’s strategic goals are:
- Addressing the social stigma associated with obesity
- Changing the way policy makers and health professionals approach obesity; and
- Improving access to evidence-based prevention and treatment resources.
In alignment with its mission and strategic goals, Obesity Canada aims to facilitate knowledge exchange regarding obesity prevention, treatment, and policy.
To manage and monitor the upload of all content/ data entry to the website and associated platforms. This will involve working with management to organize the day to day operation of the project and or, manage the overall milestones and targets to ensure completion of the project. The candidate must have advanced knowledge in the WordPress operating system.
The incumbent will also assist in the creation of visual virtual concepts, including but not limited to; social media images, infographics, brochures etc. The candidate must be able to work together with another graphic designer and current styles. The candidate must be proficient in programs, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Canva, but have the ability and willingness to quickly adapt to new technologies.
The candidate must possess strong communication, attention to the highest standard of accuracy and attention to details. The candidate must have the ability to adapt to changing priorities The candidate must have the ability to self-supervise in order to meet deadlines, but is also able to work as part of a team. Other administrative related duties will also be required.
- Plan concepts by studying information and materials.
- Illustrates concept by designing rough layout of art and paying attention to arrangement, size, type size and style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval.
- Format marketing material and prepare the final version of web pages in preparation for uploading.
- Arrange pictures, videos, and other media as part of the finished web page.
- To work closely with all employees to provide help and support to area wherever needed
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Qualifications and experience
- Experience with Microsoft operating systems and Google applications
- Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Time management, communication and organizational skills are essential
- Strong graphic design skills, layout skills and analytical skills
- Creativity & Flexibility
- Attention to detail & deadline-oriented
- Desktop publishing tools and graphic design software
- Experience working with WordPress and WebFlow is required
Please note since this position is partly funded by a government program, the applicant must be;
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada
To apply, email resume and cover letter to: