Job Type: Full time, Temporary position
Hours: The position is for 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday
Location: University of Alberta, Li Ka Shing Centre for Health Research Innovation
With the current COVID 19 situation the applicant will be required to work remotely from home until stay at home orders are lifted.
Obesity Canada is Canada’s leading obesity charity, made up of healthcare professionals, researchers, policy makers and people with an interest in obesity.
The mission of Obesity Canada is to improve the lives of Canadians affected by obesity through the advancement of anti-discrimination, prevention and treatment efforts.
The network’s strategic goals are:
- Addressing the social stigma associated with obesity
- Changing the way policy makers and health professionals approach obesity; and
- Improving access to evidence-based prevention and treatment resources.
We believe that everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity. To this end, Obesity Canada works toward reducing weight bias and stigma through research, education and action. In alignment with its mission and strategic goals, Obesity Canada aims to facilitate knowledge exchange regarding obesity prevention, treatment, and policy.
Under the direction of Obesity Canada’s Operations Director, this position is responsible for learning how to develop work plans as a team and to assist Obesity Canada with ongoing projects and events. This will involve working with management to organize the day to day operation of the project and or, manage the overall milestones and targets to ensure completion of the project.
The incumbent must have exceptional computer skills with an understanding of the office procedures and practices. The candidate must possess strong communication, customer relation and organizational skills. He/she must be motivated to work well on his/ her own, but is also able to work as part of a team.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest in taking on increasing responsibility, an aptitude for learning on the job and enthusiasm.
- Providing all aspects of administrative support to management
- Assist in coordinating committee activities , drafting correspondence, developing and formatting reports
- Liaising with research collaborators and committee members
- Assist in planning and coordinating educational events
- Ability to work through projects with changing priorities
- Display a high degree of maturity, integrity, certainty and confidentiality
- Other related duties, as required
Qualifications and experience
- Experience with Microsoft operating systems, Microsoft Suite and Adobe Pro (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Experience analyzing data to create accurate charts and graphs
- Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Time management, communication and organizational skills are essential
- Experience conducting qualitative interviews over the phone and in-person
- Experience in event planning/coordination is an asset
- A background in health sciences or public health would be an asset
Please note since this position is partly funded by a government program, the applicant must be;
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment,
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Email resume and cover letter to:
If you have any further questions please call 780-492-9057