NOTE: Effective June 29, 2020, the Certified Bariatric Educator program will be CLOSED to new applicants.
The examination is currently being revised and updated to reflect the new recommendations outlined in the Canadian Adult Clinical Practice Guideline.
NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS – WILL REOPEN SPRING 2022.
Ensure you are signed up to OC Connect Pro (obesity.timedright.ca) for the most updated information.
Developed by Obesity Canada, this in-depth, evidence-based program is designed for healthcare professionals who understand the principles of obesity management and want to advance their practice to the next level.
The Certified Bariatric Educator program offered by Obesity Canada will serve the public and the field of obesity medicine by maintaining standards for assessment and credentialing allied healthcare professionals in Canada. The Certified Bariatric Educator will signify specialized knowledge in the principles of obesity management and will distinguish an allied healthcare professional as having achieved competency in obesity management and bariatric care.
Who should take this program?
Allied healthcare professionals who are currently working or interested in working in bariatric medicine looking to gain the expertise, necessary tools, and strategies to approach, assess and manage patients with obesity.
How can the CBE program help you?
CBE program offers:
- CPD and CME credits to support your professional development requirements.
- Access to an international community of obesity experts.
- Faster and more flexible than a degree or diploma.
- Credible and up to date obesity education materials developed by leading experts in the field.
- A qualification to add to your CV that is recognized across Canada.
- Certification is valid for 5 years and there are NO annual ongoing fees to maintain this credential during the 5 years. A renewal/recertification fee is applicable after 5 years with proof of applicable CPD and CME.
$295 CDN plus HST
Upon successful completion of the exam, you will be able to:
- Discuss relevant epidemiology and causes of obesity.
- Encourage dialogue with patients who have obesity or are at-risk.
- Assess patients according to American Board of Obesity Management (ABOM) recommendations.
- Counsel patients on complications of obesity.
- Discuss risk, benefits, and options available for the management of obesity, including behavioural and pharmacological management.
- Recommend realistic prevention strategies patients can incorporate to avoid becoming overweight.
- Prescribe lifestyle recommendations for obesity management according to the needs of individual patients.
- Appraise bariatric surgery options for management of obesity.
- Apply relevant guidelines to assist in obesity management among special populations.
Please note the application criteria is being reviewed and is subject to change.
- 700 hours of practical experience related to obesity management within a medical or allied healthcare professional setting and a letter from the employer.
- An active healthcare practitioner license in good standing from a Canadian institution
- The form is at the top of the page. Please complete and submit the form.
- Upon receipt of the form, you will be requested to submit the supporting documents for the certification criteria.
- Upon proof of certification criteria and payment, you will receive the link to the online exam through the MD BriefCase website.
- The final exam will consist of 4 sections, and a passing mark of 80% or more is required to be eligible for certification.
- Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive an electronic certificate.
- You will then be able to add the credentials to your signature.
- Certification will be valid for five years from the date of issue.