7th Conference on Recent Advances in the Prevention and Treatment of Childhood and Adolescent Obesity (Obesity Canada Student Travel Grant)
This conference brings together an interdisciplinary group of professionals working in the field of childhood and adolescent obesity. The 7th conference will focus on a range of topics that impact the prevention and treatment of obesity beyond the clinic setting, considering the broader social and environmental factors that influence the health of children, adolescents, and families. This multi-theme meeting will explore the role that health care professionals can play in promoting healthy strategies within the greater community to enhance the well-being of children and adolescents living with obesity. Specifically, the conference will showcase examples of successful collaborations that span diverse settings, including the health care system, government, schools, and community at-large.
As a result of attending this conference, participants will be able to:
- Review the importance of community health and highlight successful strategies for promoting healthy lifestyles
- Analyze new trends in nutrition and healthy lifestyle aiming at preventing childhood and adolescent obesity
- Examine the role of social and environmental influences on obesity (e.g. social determinants of health; built environment; social network; media; technology)
- Provide a forum for networking and collaboration among health professionals, educators, researchers, policy makers, trainees and other stakeholders with an interest in childhood and adolescent obesity
- Highlight opportunities for attendees to promote healthy habits and environments in the broader community
Who should Attend:
This interdisciplinary conference will be of interest to the following audiences: administrators/managers, advocacy organizations, behavioural therapists, community health workers, counsellors, diabetes educators, dietitians, early childhood educators, educators and teachers, families, family development workers, family physicians, family resource program staff, fitness professionals, health professionals, nurses, nutritionists, paediatricians, parents, policy makers, pyschologists, researchers, school administrators, social workers, students.
For more information on this conference, please visit their website.
Obesity Canada Student Travel Award:
Obesity Canada is pleased to offer 4 (four) travel awards to students (undergraduate, masters and PhD students) who have an obesity-related abstract accepted for presentation at the conference. Deadline to apply is September 7, 2018.
The purpose of the Student Travel Award is to help students travel to the 7th Annual Childhood and Adolescent Obesity Conference, in Calgary, Alberta, October 25-27, 2018. This program does not support travel expenses for lab exchange travel. Approximately (4) students will receive up to $500.00 Canadian dollars each to support their travel to this conference. To be eligible, applicants must have an obesity-related abstract accepted for presentation at the conference. Further information about this award will be provided to all applicants in the notification of application receipt.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time at an accredited university or college located in Canada and have an obesity-related abstract accepted for presentation at the conference.
- Applicants must have an obesity-related abstract accepted for presentation at the conference.
Email or screen shots proof of acceptance will be permitted
- A jury composed of representatives from Obesity Canada will examine all applications for eligibility.
- Applicants must use the attached application form. A photocopy of this form is acceptable. The application form must be typed or neatly printed, and submitted with the following materials:
- 1-page maximum typed cover letter describing your interest in obesity and how attending the meeting will benefit your work.
- 2-page maximum Curriculum Vitae including scientific publications and presentations (the Curriculum Vitae may contain only highlights and may not be a complete version).
- 1-page maximum reference letter from your supervisor.
- Award recipients will be announced Friday September 21, 2018.
- Travel Expenses will be reimbursed upon completion the conference.