Obesity Canada is the country’s leading obesity registered charity association for health professionals, researchers, students/trainees, policy makers and most importantly Canadians living with obesity. We are seeking new members to the Board of Directors who can help support Obesity Canada’s Mission, Vision and Values.
The Board of Directors provides strategic leadership, governance, establishes policy, oversees the operations and financial performance of Obesity Canada and assesses the Board’s own effectiveness.
New members will be supported and mentored by the existing Board of Directors to help ease the transition into this leadership role. Participation on the Board is voluntary and there is no remuneration for service.
Expected Commitment from Board Members:
- Term commencement would be in Fall, members have the ability to serve for a minimum of two (2) years and eligible for re-appointment for up to 3 terms
- A director is expected to commit the time required to perform board and committee duties. The minimum time commitment is likely 10 hours per month
Eligibility Criteria and Conditions of Appointment:
- Commitment to Obesity Canada’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of a Board member
- Strong communication and collaborative skills
- Business, administration, and management skills such as finance/accounting, financial management & control, legal interpretation/negotiation/mediation, strategic planning, ethics, fundraising, ethics, risk management, IT, communications, advocacy, government relations, public affairs, recruitment, training, evaluation are an asset
- Previous board and governance, public sector, practice and/or policy experience or other relevant experience are also an asset
- Applicants must reside in Canada
- Directors must be al least 18 years old
- Follow the Obesity Canada’s bylaws, policies, and board resolutions
- Sign an annual conflict-of-interest disclosure and update it during the year if necessary, as well as disclose potential conflicts before meetings and actual conflicts during meetings
- Maintain confidentiality about all internal matters of Obesity Canada
- All applicants must complete this application to be considered for the position
- All cover letters and résumé / CVs will be reviewed by the Committee to be selected for an interview.
- Governance & Nominations Committee will then make recommendations for the open board position to the Board. The Board will meet and review the recommendations and then motion for selection.
Serving on the board is a privilege and a commitment. To view our current Board of Directors, visit the Obesity Canada website, here.
Obesity Canada seeks representation through diversity of the institutional and industry stakeholder communities it serves, and diversity of personal and demographic characteristics represented in Canadian society, including gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, age, business experience, functional expertise, personal skills, and geographic location. Obesity Canada strives to maintain its Board gender balance and regional representation includes directors from across the country.
If your application is approved you will need to provide a police check and complete the board orientation.
For more information about the application and nomination process – please contact the Executive Director, Dawn Hatanaka at email@example.com