It sure has been a busy year for the OC-SNP National Executive. From adding new chapters to our network, to hosting a successful student conference, to a name change… we’ve been through quite a bit! In September, the OC-SNP National Executive set out to connect SNPs across Canada who are training and working in obesity-related fields, and have accomplished quite a bit over the past year.
Things we’ve done
- COSM 2018 – With some amazing support from the planning committee at Western University, we hosted the Canadian Obesity Student Meeting (COSM) in lovely London, Ontario. The meeting brought together dozens of trainees from across Canada, and highlighted the incredible research being done by some passionate SNPs.
- Got competitive – This year, our executive hosted several national competitions, including our annual Infographic Competition, the National Pedometer Challenge (co-hosted by the University of Alberta OC-SNP chapter), and the Research Blitz, which concluded with an exciting final at COSM.
- Made some new connections – With some help from motivated SNPs at different universities, we have established several new chapters, and grown our network to over 20 OC-SNP chapters.
Things to look forward to
- More opportunities for mentorship, networking, and professional development – The OC-SNP Mentorship Match program continues to grow every year, and in the coming months, we will work towards building a stronger network of mentors and mentees. In addition to mentorship, SNPs can look forward to more initiatives that highlight the amazing work being done by other obesity professionals (like our Women in Science initiative!) and professional development opportunities.
- COS 2019 – Save the date for the upcoming Canadian Obesity Summit (COS), to be held in Ottawa, Ontario next April. We hope to see you all there!
- Get involved! – Applications for the OC-SNP 2018-2019 National Executive are due on July 15, 2018. Looking for more? Contact us, and we can keep you up-to-date on our activities for the coming year.
Amanda & Melissa
OC-SNP Chair & Vice Chair